Frequently Asked Questions about Car Insurance


What should I do if I’m in a car accident? 

In the event of an auto accident, you should take great care in filling in your Motor Accident Claim Form (‘Constat Amiable’ in French) with the other driver. Follow carefully the instructions on the form and be specific about the circumstances in which the accident occurred and any material damage or physical injury. Include names, addresses and telephone numbers of those involved in the accident, and any witnesses. You must also state whether the police or ‘gendarmerie’ were involved. It is a very good idea to become familiar with the auto accident report form and the type of information required before being confronted with an actual accident.

Once you have completed and signed the Motor Accident Claim Form, call us free on 0800 822 202, and we will handle all the details and settle the claim on your behalf.


What should I do if my vehicle is stolen? 

As soon as you notice that your vehicle is missing, you should notify the police of the theft. You should then call us free on 0800 822-202. We will work on your behalf to settle your claim as quickly as possible. We can also arrange for a replacement vehicle for up to 35 days if needed. Remember, this is optional insurance coverage and applies only if selected.


Am I covered if my car breaks down ? 

With Aon Assistance you can call us any time of the day or night and someone will be there to fix your car or tow it if necessary. You are covered while travelling in Europe and neighbouring countries. In addition, if you need medical care when travelling outside of France, Aon Assistance will also reimburse you for up to €100,000 for medical expenses that you may incur. Aon Assistance is an optional coverage providing both roadside and medical assistance.


How do I qualify for the "bonus discount" plan ? 

The bonus discount plan is based on the number of years you have been "claim free." We will accept a claims history report from your prior insurer, either in your home country or anywhere else, and that will be used to determine your bonus discount.


What is Constat Amiable ?

This is a standard Motor Accident Claim Form, called "un constat amiable d’accident," that you will receive once you are insured. In the event of a car accident, the carbon copy form is to be completed and signed by both drivers, and provides each driver with a copy to send to their respective insurers.


What is a "carte verte" ?

Once you have the required Auto Liability Insurance, you will receive a "proof of insurance" certificate that must be affixed to your windshield. Referred to as a "carte verte" (literally "green card"), this proof of insurance is required when driving throughout Europe and a number of surrounding countries.